Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Teaching Experience

This is my second year as a teacher. I have learned a lot over the last couple of months. When I first started teaching (last year), I thought I knew what it took to be a teacher, but reality is that teaching is more than lesson plans, bulletin boards, books, homework. Being a teacher takes courage, patience, love, dedication and prayer. So far, I have been their cheerleader, nurse, counselor, coach, mom & dad, friend, and finally their teacher. I had a rough time when disciplining my students. I'm not one to raise my voice but I also don't like disrespectful children. It was tough by times, I felt like I was doing everything wrong. It seemed like the most I did for them, the more they would misbehave. I felt discouraged and I was ready to quit! However, God reminded me that the most important thing to do was to stay prayerful. I have learned to take the time to listen to my students and build a relationship with each one. Now, I make sure that I spend some quality time with them. Books aside...pencils down...ears wide open and a smile on my face. I try to include 15 minutes of quality time once a week now. We do nothing but talk, play games, or sing together. This has made a difference in my classroom but what has truly changed things around is prayer. I pray for each of my students everyday, some need more prayers than others but that's what we are here for; to make a difference in the lives of our students.  

No comments:

Post a Comment